Help. What don’t you understand?

OK so I’d really appreciate some input if you’ll indulge me. Not much, just a couple of lines.

I have a presentation in a couple of days about this project. I’m trying to put together some sort of list of frequently asked questions in order to give a better presentation of the work. I know what my aim was, and I can understand the choices I’ve made being as I’m the one that made them, but is there anything about this project that you don’t understand or would like further clarification about?

This is your chance to get stuck in and really tell me what you think. If you need your memory jogging work can be found via the designlab.

What don’t you understand?

Thanks.

11 Comments

1. Comment Details
    Authored by Paul Coffield
    Posted April 21, 2008 at 3:54 pm | Comment Permalink

What exactly are you doing again? hehe

I think I’m only curious about what your ‘final piece’ is going to be, what can I expect to see from you at the show?

2. Comment Details
    Authored by gels
    Posted April 22, 2008 at 5:32 pm | Comment Permalink

Absolutely beautiful work, you’ve inspired me to rethink the way I use typography and color. Monday’s nutritional info is perfect - if only all newspapers were labeled like that, I’d have an easier time choosing ;)

The only thing I don’t understand is the Wednesday chart: what are the relations between the small beige circles with numbers, particularly the difference between single ones and ones grouped together with a central number?

3. Comment Details
    Authored by Dave
    Posted April 22, 2008 at 6:01 pm | Comment Permalink

gels,

Thanks for leaving a comment. It’s helping me to know where I need to communicate more in regards to what things are doing.

The smaller circles are stories, and the numbers inside them are the word counts of those stories. They are all plotted on 26 evenly spaced spokes which each represent a page. Where more circles (stories) are grouped together, that means there is more than one story on that page in that category.

It was just a way for me to arrange the stories so that they could all sit on their own spokes (pages) and categories without crossing into a space they aren’t a part of.

Thanks again, and I’m glad I’m inspiring someone! :)

4. Comment Details
    Authored by Doug
    Posted April 23, 2008 at 11:12 pm | Comment Permalink

Love the work.

You talk about your aims but you don’t mention your measure of success. Is it amount of time spent or something more measurable like how many DIgg mentions or Google links?

I’ve found that presentation attendees pay more attention if you set out the goals. - FWIW

5. Comment Details
    Authored by Jasper
    Posted April 23, 2008 at 11:37 pm | Comment Permalink

Good point indeed. Then, what did you learn, what did you discover, you knew what your goal was when you started, but what more came out? Did you learn important lessons. Did you do everything yourself or did you get help, and what inspired you? What part are you most proud of? Are you planning to do it again? What did you not like about doing it? Do you have an advise for your audience, based on experience you gained from this project.

So much for the “FAQ” part, and what I’d like to add to this is that I love your work, you did inspire me too, but what I’m even more impressed of is the way you sell yourself by doing this. By the time I am to graduate, I’ll sure try to do something like you did. I think you can be absolutely sure to get a good job and an even better career. So really, no REALLY, congratulations for that.

6. Comment Details
    Authored by Dave
    Posted April 24, 2008 at 11:31 am | Comment Permalink

Doug,

Excellent point about the measure of success. I had a presentation yesterday and the measure of success became one of the most important points of discussion.

Jasper,

These are all excellent suggestions, and ones I’ll definitely be using when I compile my final presentation.

Thanks both for your input. It’s been very helpful, and I’m glad you like the work.

7. Comment Details
    Authored by Jasper
    Posted April 24, 2008 at 11:52 am | Comment Permalink

Are you going to record the presentation? Because I would like to see it. I think it would be good content too. Just a sugestion:)

8. Comment Details
    Authored by Dave
    Posted April 26, 2008 at 2:00 pm | Comment Permalink

Jasper,

Probably won’t be able to record the final presentation, but there’s a 3 minute video that will accompany the presentation that I think will explain alot, so I’ll probably be posting that as soon as it’s finished.

9. Comment Details
    Authored by JimC
    Posted May 4, 2008 at 1:37 am | Comment Permalink

Why don’t you forget about finishing school or getting a job?

Just figure out a way to sell your visualization posters, and you’ll be able to retire.

10. Comment Details
    Authored by Dave
    Posted May 4, 2008 at 5:43 pm | Comment Permalink

JimC,

Will hardly be able to retire on the sale of a few posters. Nice thought though.

11. Comment Details
    Authored by Detrus
    Posted May 15, 2008 at 10:44 pm | Comment Permalink

The visualizations look great aesthetically, however the choices for organizing the information are strange. For example the Thursday piece, it looks great but quite unreadable in a static format. So are all the other sphere charts people make in this format. I don’t understand why anyone expects those to be readable. Interactive form like here http://presidentialwatch08.com/ is another story.

Your Saturday piece is also somewhat limited since it’s a static picture. It would be easier to follow if the author connection lines were drawn straight to the point, but that would make it look crappy of course. One thing that would have helped is color differentiation for the different lines, because while tracking them I get lost.

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

Comment Info
  • Make sure to follow up your comments by subscribing to the email updates.
  • If you would like to follow the discussion but don't yet want to comment, then subscribe to the post RSS here.
  • If you're posting code, make sure you run it through Elliot Swans' Postable before you submit as it may not display correctly otherwise.