Print testing

The past few days I’ve been thinking more about how to present the final pieces at the assessment and the graduate showcase. One of the ideas I’ve been toying with is to insert the posters into a weekend supplement or a center page pullout. I’ve been looking around for ways to emulate newsprint, and so far the closest I’ve come is to use a plotter printer, on ~50gsm paper.

The texture of the paper is not unlike newsprint, though there’s a larger grain to the paper, and it feels just slightly thicker. It’s difficult to see I know, but my digi-cam is a cheap useless one that’s about 4 years old, and photography isn’t my forte.

To see it up close it looks as though it came straight out of the paper, which is great, and after handling it my hands were inky black! Not sure I’ll be able to mass print these though as printing it on the plotter has to be done overnight. Perhaps a limited edition of 10 if people want? I know some have already contacted me via email about getting prints, and if demand is strong enough then I guess archival ink on semi-gloss might be a better choice.

6 Comments

1. Comment Details
    Authored by Jason Robb
    Posted May 11, 2008 at 10:54 pm | Comment Permalink

Hey, really cool work (the print and this site)! I’d grab a copy if they were available. Cheers. =)

2. Comment Details
    Authored by Dave
    Posted May 12, 2008 at 11:02 pm | Comment Permalink

Jason,

I’m going to set up a shop in the next week or two, and they’ll be as cheap as I can make them! Cheers.

3. Comment Details
    Authored by Gummi
    Posted May 16, 2008 at 3:55 pm | Comment Permalink

Beautiful print of a beautiful idea.

4. Comment Details
    Authored by Coen
    Posted May 26, 2008 at 6:02 pm | Comment Permalink

I’d like to have one as well, it’s sweet! All of ‘em are :)

5. Comment Details
    Authored by haracas
    Posted May 27, 2008 at 5:35 pm | Comment Permalink

This is one poster i’d kill to have! Lemme know if you decide to do a print run of this, i’ll definitely pick up one (if it fits into my poor student budget).

6. Comment Details
    Authored by Dave
    Posted May 28, 2008 at 6:10 pm | Comment Permalink

Thanks guys.

Will try and get some definite prices up in the next week or two. I’m still juggling between semi-gloss and matte finishes. Will know for certain after the matte prints get back to me so I can have a look at the quality.

Haracas,

Won’t be much if I can get them printed at the university. Shipping might be more if you’re outside the UK.

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

Comment Info
  • Make sure to follow up your comments by subscribing to the email updates.
  • If you would like to follow the discussion but don't yet want to comment, then subscribe to the post RSS here.
  • If you're posting code, make sure you run it through Elliot Swans' Postable before you submit as it may not display correctly otherwise.